Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, March 20, 2011

Info Post

When I tell people that I want to become an abortion provider, one question I get asked often is if I am concerned about the violence against providers. Of course, this is always a concern and something that you must think about when entering the field of family planning. I have already thought of ways to protect my family from harassment and live a relatively normal life. I know many providers that live peaceful lives while still providing comprehensive health care for their patients.

One provider who I greatly admire once told me how she puts the threat of violence into perspective. The day Dr. Tiller was murdered, a small plane went down in South America killing everyone on board. Later that afternoon, her co-worker was riding his bike and was hit by a car, instantly becoming a paraplegic. Bottom line-life happens and things can change in an instant.

I am certainly not diminishing how tragic violence against providers is…and how unacceptable it is, but my point is that the threat of violence is not deterring me. Providing comprehensive women’s health care for women is extremely important to me and something I am determined to provide in my lifetime. Life is unpredictable, but I can choose to make a difference in other women’s lives. And I will.

0 comments:

Post a Comment