Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, June 27, 2011

Info Post
I think we've touched on this subject before, but it's been on my mind lately. What do you do when someone asks what you do, and you're not ready to talk to them about abortion or even reproductive health in general?

I bring this up because I have extended and some immediate family who don't agree with what I do. The thing is that most of them don't even know what I do. When it comes time to see family I haven't seen in a long time, the inevitable questions come up. What do you do/what are you up to? I usually tip toe around the subject (reproductive health, women's health, etc). One time I met a friend's very conservative, Catholic family, so I talked about my counseling work and that I talk to people in crisis. I think they still think I'm a therapist.

I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable or alienate anyone, particularly my family, but I also feel weird when I'm practically lying. Now don't mistake as me feeling bad about what I do. I am proud of my work. I know that I help women when they most need it. I make no apologies. When I'm out at parties, a bar, meeting random people, I really have no problem telling people what I do. And if it weren't for the impact having these conversations with my family/friends' families would have on me/my loved ones, I wouldn't hesitate to proudly talk about what I do. You have to pick your battles in life, and this isn't one I'm willing to pick with certain people.

So what do you all do when you're faced with a situation like this?

0 comments:

Post a Comment