Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, December 11, 2009

Info Post
Sometimes a particular woman's story really sticks with me.

I was talking to a woman the other day who was distraught that she was pregnant and that she was further along than she thought. She was scared, didn't have the money, and didn't know what to do about it. She said what she and her husband did was irresponsible. I've heard this before. Why is what she did irresponsible?

I know some would say that unprotected sex can lead to not just unwanted pregnancy but also STIs, which of course is true. But this woman was with her husband, whom she trusts (I realize that just because one is married, doesn't mean they don't have an STI). My point is, why do we have to demonize sex so much? In this case it was a moment between two people who love each other and have had a really really awful couple of months. Why do we have to make someone feel guilty for doing something so natural.

So why does she think she was being irresponsible? I don't think it's because she had sex. It's because she got pregnant, is trying to have an abortion, and society wants us to believe that this is bad. Abortion is what it is. It stops a potential life. Potential. I know a lot of people don't agree with it, and I don't intend to try to change their minds. But why don't we stop demonizing and start supporting. Let's not make them feel bad about what got them here and the fact that they're here, and help them get through it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment